93% of smart TV users access internet-based content: Mediasmart report
Over 65% of the respondents subscribed to more than one OTT app
Sep 07, 2021 12:28:00 PM | Article | Campaign India Team Share -
Mediasmart has released its latest ‘India CTV Report 2021’, which shares insights on the topic - ‘Mapping connected TV (CTV) viewership in India and the opportunities for brands’.
The report suggests that the country is undergoing a digital transformation, which has caused Indian consumers to move away from traditional linear TV and increasingly adopt CTV and OTT.
It states that the transition presents an untapped advertising opportunity for brands and advertisers and thus highlights consumer adoption insights, with an expert view on possible advertising potential of the CTV medium.
Key findings of the report:
- 78% of the surveyed audience own a smart TV, with 93% of these users accessing internet-based content
- Since CTV users are young, urban adults from the mobile-first generation, 89% of the respondents use social media, whereas 82% are e-commerce users and 44% are gamers and more
- More than 59% of the respondents prefered downloading apps via smart TV app store, while 26% respondents consumed content via pre-installed apps. 15% of them use the dongle to stream content on TV
- Almost 70% respondents spend between one to four hours on CTV, with 91% of them watching movies, 64% streaming music, 47% playing games and 64% of them watching news
- Over 65% of respondents subscribe to more than one OTT app. Over 40% of the OTT adoption comes for eight Indian OTT apps, including Disney+Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Zee5, MX Player, Sony Liv, Voot and Alt Balaji. However, the inclination on app usage depends upon the seasonality and timing
- CTV consumption cuts across age, language, and city barriers and advertisers engage with users in ads of their language
Nikhil Kumar, senior director, mediasmart, said, “The world is moving towards immersive watching experiences and CTV is an exciting space to be at. It is interesting to see leading advertisers in the country adopt CTV advertising as a critical new addition to their media mix. CTV advertising is here to stay and with evolutionary solutions provided by mediasmart on Household Sync technology, we are powering brands to engage with relevant consumers across the connected devices.”
Amardeep Singh, CEO, Interactive Avenues, said, “Advertisers globally - and in India - are lapping up the CTV opportunity as it continues to grow as an exciting medium for digital advertising. We have seen great results and ROI for some of our top clients who are already using the CTV ad technology from mediasmart. This research is a step in the right direction to build standard industry metrics, even as technologies like Household Sync make CTV more measurable and impactful.”