This week's Rockstar: Anu Joseph, creative director, Creativeland Asia
1. Why did you get into advertising?
To while away a month after graduation till the course at the Asian College of Journalism began. A month later, I was addicted and I refused rehab.
2. What is it that you like best about your job?
I know I’m fortunate to be doing something I really love doing, in a place that is honest and passionate about ideas and building brands. Also, I love the fact that I have the opportunity to create things that can outlast me.
3. If you were stuck on a desert island, what is the one thing that you would like to have with you?
4. Which is the one book that you can re-read any number of times? Why?
The Catcher in the Rye. The writing style and the visual imagery it conjures up in my mind are incomparable. I simply love the spirit of it. It’s a fabulous re-read.
5. Who is the one person in advertising that you would like to have dinner with? Why?
If your ideas win Grand Prix at Cannes and scores of other advertising awards, you qualify as a legitimate advertising guy, even if you haven’t ever stepped into an agency. Gary Larson is the one guy I’d love to have dinner with. Even if it meant going to the Far Side.
6. Who is the one person outside of advertising that you would like to have dinner with? Why?
Barack Obama. That man could perhaps change the world for the better. I’ll pick up the tab, save the bill, and, one day, make my grandchildren proud.
7. What is the one thing you hate about your job? Why?